Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What will Heaven be like?

[Note: By "Heaven" I am referring to eternity, the new Heaven and New Earth, Rev 21, forever and ever, but it's easier to just say "Heaven." :) ]

I am allergic to adrenaline. Have I mentioned that? It's not been diagnosed or anything, but with one exception, roller coasters, I do not like to participate in activities that increase my adrenaline.

Like last weekend, we were out on a boat, and while my daughters were sitting in front, bouncing in the air with every bump and squealing with delight as the waves splashed their faces, I was planted in the back, holding on tight with my boys. I went to my five year old son for advice. "Why don't we like this? We like roller coasters!"

He wisely replied, "But on a boat, we can drown!" I agreed.

For my husband, Heaven would be an eternity of adrenaline-spiking activities. If I were there, I would think there was a mistake in the celestial book and I'd been sentenced to hell.

For me, I see Heaven as a place with unending relationships. Eternal, intensive, personal, intimate, sinless relationship building forever and ever. So many people to truly know and love without the baggage of sin: selfishness, greed, deceit. Ooh, I can't wait! Pour a hundredth cup of coffee and let's talk!

When I mentioned that delightful idea to my husband, he said, "Ugh, that sounds like a lot of work."

I'm sure the personality differences are beginning to be evident. I'll blog later about opposites attracting.

It made me laugh, though. How is God going to create a perfect eternity that suits all of us? I really don't have an answer, but it excites me to find out! Maybe I won't be allergic to adrenaline. Maybe my husband will grow a little more extroverted. Or maybe... it will be beyond anything we can even conceive of here on earth!

That gets me going! If You could design Heaven, what would it look like?


Above all, we'll be with Jesus, our Savior and Lord.

"Whom have I in heaven but You?
And besides You, I desire nothing on earth."
Psalm 73:25

Desiring nothing but Jesus on earth. That's a huge statement, and I'm making it my prayer today.



_____________________________________________________

No comments: