Friday, July 1, 2011

Cultivating a Heart of Thankfulness

This morning I read:

"And in their heart they put God to the test 
by asking food according to their desire." Ps 78:18

Great verse to teach the kids, right? Especially when you've served a new casserole that looks funny. Or the chicken is grilled a little darker than they like. Or that new vegetable isn't their favorite. Or the pizza has the wrong kind of sausage. Or they don't like the crust of this kind of bread. Or...

It should almost be put on a plaque and hung in the dining room over the hutch. Uppercase Living, the company that makes wall stickers, should catch on and turn this into a product. Wouldn't every mom order it?

As I read it this morning, it struck my own heart. "Asking for _____ according to their desire." What do I put in the blank there? I ask for: time to myself, more time with Lee, obedient kids, less time doing housework, a vacation, more time with friends... (Can you tell my love language is time?)

What, in your life, do you want to go more according to your desire? A different job? A different spouse? A different house? More kids or frustrated with the kids you have? More money, more things, more _______.

The Bible does say that we are to ask. However, what is our attitude supposed to be like? Are we to ask with a grumbling and complaining spirit, like the Israelites?

"Be anxious for nothing,  but in everything by prayer and supplication 
with thanksgiving  let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6

With Thanksgiving

The rest of Psalm 78 rehearses all that the Lord has done for them!

"But He led forth His own people like sheep and guided them in the wilderness like a flock." (78:52)

We are in the wilderness, the time between the redemption with the blood of the Lamb and the promised land. He is guiding us as a shepherd guides His flock. Can life get any better than that? What do I have to complain about? I need to trust Him! I need to take His plan for my life each and every day and THANK HIM for it.

Wow, I needed this reminder. I hope it blesses your day too.

__________________________________________________________

2 comments:

cheryl Cleveland said...

This is a great word of encouragement that speaks to my heart. Thanks! :)

BeckyE said...

You're welcome Cheryl! I need the constant reminder myself. :)