Sunday, April 22, 2007

Spur One Another On...

A lot of people have asked me how the Tomato Staking was going. Well, I think you really have to be home to try it, and the only time last week we were home for any length was Monday morning - and that went well! LOL! So I'm going to try again this week. It is looking like it will be much slower!

I was really encouraged by this morning's message. You will be able to listen to it here by Tuesday or Wednesday. It's Nate Irwin's message called, "Entering In."

The whole thing was great, but I was especially inspired by the end.

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
Hebrews 10:24

Consider also means "think about" and spur on also means "provoke, incite." So I'm thinking about how I can provoke and incite my daughters to love and good deeds.

Provoking them to do good. Its an interesting "tactic" to think about. I often think of child raising as training, instructing, teaching, correcting... which are all good things. But I haven't thought much about spuring them to good things.

I've encouraged good behavior when I've seen it and discouraged bad behavior, but I can't think of major ways I've incited them to do good before hand.

One simple thing that we do is writing cards and letters to friends and family, but I'd like to think broader - Any ideas?

I'll probably be praying about this for a while. Is "spurring on" the same as suggesting or asking them to do good? Like, "Abby, will you share that toy with Katie?" Right now I don't think so - to me it seems more like doing something that will just agitate them in a good way to good things. I wonder what that looks like?

Ok, that's where I am tonight.

No comments: