Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Draw through the Psalms

I am loving the challenge our church gave to read through the Psalms this summer! Reading them out loud has been especially helpful. If you want the guide, you can find it here: Psalms Reading Plan.

I've been inspired to teach the Psalms to my children using this tool: Draw to Learn the Book of Psalms. This can be done after dinner, before bed, at breakfast... but for my family, we will use it as a part of our home school day.

Here's a review from the website:

Looking at this series reminded me of Bible study when my siblings and I were younger. For every chapter of the Bible we read, we’d draw a picture and put it in a binder. Boy, were they fun to go back and look at after a few years! This series from Notgrass takes that same concept, and elaborates on it somewhat, giving drawing instructions to accompany specific Bible verses. Each page contains a scripture reference at the top, a summary idea from the scripture, and a large empty frame with instructions underneath. Students begin by reading the referenced scripture, thinking about it, then drawing a picture following the instructions beneath the frame. The pictures are sure to serve as a great reminder to students in the future about the verses and their meaning. For example, my sample is for the Book of Proverbs, and several of the assignments are: drawing a gorgeous crown for Proverbs 4:7-9, drawing a person who has been on a long search and has finally found treasure for Proverbs 2:1-5 and drawing highway signs for Proverbs 15: 18-21. Each volume in the series contains 150 lessons, and is designed to complete throughout the school year. Because the lessons include drawing practice, the authors recommend taking this portion seriously, using drawing pencils and a good set of colored pencils. Advice for drawing the best possible pictures and suggestions for expanding the Bible study into a unit study are included in the introduction. – Jess


Psalm 18:1-3
1 I love you, O LORD, my strength.
 2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
   my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
   He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
3 I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
   and I am saved from my enemies.

No comments: