Monday, June 13, 2011

Cleaning out the pantry!

Goodbye Granola bars, chips, cereal, crackers, cereal bars, candy, and other crunchy snacks.

That is just about the list of everything my toddler eats.

For two weeks, (notice I'm not saying forever), I'm going to only offer fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy, and whole grains. I'm also removing sugar and juice. Eventually, he'll get hungry, right? At least that's the plan. And then hopefully he'll eat.

When my oldest daughter was two, I removed all processed food from the home. No boxed pastas. No instant meals. It had to do mostly with a food coloring issue. But recently, convenience has been winning the food war. It's just so easy to grab a granola bar and be off instead of peeling and bagging veggies. To take a Gogurt out of the freezer instead of blending blueberries in plain yogurt. To throw corn dogs in the toaster oven instead of making a fresh salad.

So for a couple of weeks, I told my kids that I needed their help to fix Kevin's terrible eating habits.

This morning, I made steel-cut oatmeal and frozen fruit smoothies. He didn't eat either of them. Then at lunch, I offered watermelon, meat, cheese, and a few whole wheat crackers. He ate the watermelon and the crackers.


It's going to be interesting, especially with a day camp next week that I'm working and all the kids are attending, but I'm going to give it a good try.

Any tips? I'll have to let you know how it goes!

No comments: