Saturday, March 26, 2011

Filling the Easter Basket

Have you noticed that Easter Candy is entirely different than Valentine's Day Candy? The love-holiday is full of dark chocolate and roses, but the Bunny's stash is sugary and sweet. My personal favorites: Starburst Jelly Beans and the traditional yellow Peeps.

This year, if the idea of a basketful of candy gives you a toothache, consider putting something of more value into the baskets--something that will have meaning long after the chocolate bunny has been decapitated.

A Book! And not just any book, but my book, Duncan's Journey: A Little Lamb's Adventure through the Twenty-Third Psalm. (This is my blog, afterall, so I'm a little bias.)

Duncan's Journey is a 112 page devotional that leads you verse by verse through the Psalm, integrating the meaning of the passage with Duncan's adventures. When learning the phrase "I shall not want," Duncan complains that he is tired of eating grass. After biting into a juicy worm, he learns that the Shepherd knows best... and worms are not best. Each chapter ends with discussion questions, a Bible verse, and a prayer.

Duncan's Journey can be read aloud to younger children, but early readers will enjoy reading it for themselves. I know of a few nine-year-olds who are reading a chapter a night before bed. An eight-year-old girl told her mom, "I love this book. I think it is really helping me."

Easter, of course, is not about candy and bunnies. I know that, and as we move into April, I'll be giving suggestions on bringing the spotlight back onto Jesus. I love giving gifts to my kids, though--just as our Heavenly Father showers gifts on us every day.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

Buy Duncan's Journey from Becky personally if you're in Indy to save on shipping or click here:




Special Event: 
Purchase 2 books from Becky by May 1st
and get 10% off and be entered into a drawing for a FREE Kindle!

No comments: