Friday, March 30, 2007

Bread of Life

I'm going through a book called, "Praying the Names of Jesus" and it has been so helpful. Right now I'm on "Bread of Life" and today's just struck me.

From John 6, after feeding the 5000 and filling their bellies w/ bread, Jesus said,

Stop working for food that spoils.
Work for the forever food that I will give you.
The work you need to do is to believe in me.
I am the bread of life.
When you fall down dead, I will make you stand up alive again on the last day.

Ann Spangler explains that it was too much for them - the crowd wanted a leader to rise up right then and meet their needs, but Jesus was more concerned with their life after their death.

She says, "What about you? How hungry are you? It's so easy to stuff ourselves with the world's cheap bread - with money, success, comfort, and pleasure - that we take the edge off our spiritual hunger. We fail to realize the dangers of living in an affluent, consumer-driven society in which we can be consumed by the things we desire. So many of us are like sponges, soaking up the world's good things with no space left for God..."

Good stuff!

I love how she combines Bible reading and teaching with daily prayer and reflection. I'd highly recommend it!

Each day you read new passages about the name, which are mostly written in the book for you, and then you pray through them. Not a big time commitment, but a good one.

I have the book and the journal. I'm considering going through this with the girls, in a simplified format, this summer.


No comments: