Monday, December 10, 2007

Eureka! I've solved my laundry problem!

As many of you know, my biggest nemesis in the home has always been laundry. As a kid, the laundry would pile a foot high in my room. When I got married, I was more sophisticated - I used the guest bedroom! And now that I have three kids, it almost got to the point of complete chaos.

I tried many systems that work well for others. Doing a load a day, doing a certain color each day, doing it all one day and putting it away the next. Each system left me with piles and piles of clean laundry because the folding and putting away was the part my brain never learned. Then, the clothes that needed to be hung would get so wrinkled I'd have to rewash them. OR the other tragedy - I'd forget I had a load going and leave in the wash until it started to smell, and then I'd have to rewash it. I hate the "Re" word.

The last time I complained to my friends about laundry, I showed a picture of my entry way covered in dirty clothes, stacked 3-4 feet high. I was overwhelmed and frustrated, so I decided I wouldn't hide away from my laundry, I'd face my fear and tackle it head-on. That day I did all of the loads, probably a zillion or so, and didn't quit until everything was put away. Whew! I even did the random things like sweaters that I usually never wear because they sit in a "need to be done in a delicate wash" pile all winter.

Ever since then, that has been my system. On Mondays I do laundry - all day and night. I don't hide it when it is dry - I set it out in my family room so it stares at me in plain sight. Every time my dryer buzzes, I switch the load. Once it is all finished, usually after dinner, I gather the kids and we sort and put away all the laundry. Even mismatched socks must find a home and not linger in a laundry basket until next week.

I've hesitated posting about this success for fear it was a short-lived victory, but I'm proud to say I've been lovin' laundry for eight months! Hooray!

I love this system because I look at laundry only one day a week, on a day when I'm usually home, and I don't have to look or breath or smell or touch or think about my least favorite chore the rest of the week!

It may not work for you - since most of your systems don't work for me :) - but I'm so glad I no longer have this to complain about! And I'm sure you are too. Now... if only I can get my juicer to clean itself...

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Congratulations to you! I say embrace whatever system works!