Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Calling it Quits

I have been so tired lately. I've been going to bed before 10 and sleeping until 7 or 8, and still waking up tired. I'm achy, edgy, and have headaches. This is not normal... I can usually survive on little sleep, with a quick nap in the afternoon. When I was writing over the summer, I had only a few hours, but I was able to keep going with a smile on my face.

At a party last night, which usually energizes me, I was draggin' my wagon, and sand filled my eyes all night. What is wrong with me?! I asked myself. I know I'm not pregnant, which used to be the cause of my sleepiness.

Then Lee diagnosed it last night - it's the caffeine.

For my birthday in October, I received a Keurig Coffee Maker. This was after almost ten years of virtually no caffeine except for rare occasions, having been pregnant or nursing for a lot of that time, and I was just out of the habit of drinking it.

But since my birthday, I've been enjoying and savoring that cup of coffee each morning! Delicious, with different flavors and creamers. And you can't beat the kick it gives!

Add that to some yummy hot cocoa on these cold winter months with the kids in the afternoon, and the new love of Sweet Tea I've discovered when eating out, and what was once absent in my life is now there in full-swing!

But it's only been two months or so. Can that really be the problem, or is there some underlying virus?

So I'm going to see. No more caffeine for me. In what I've read, some people are more sensitive to it, and I could see that before when I'd drink a cup at 4:00 and be awake all night. So for people like me, the highs are big but the crashes are big too... leading me to exhaustion and adrenal fatigue.

Anyway... enough of my self-diagnosing. I'm upping the vitamins and water in-take and replacing the coffee with herbal tea from my Keurig. I'll have to update you all with how it goes!

What about you? Have you ever had any interesting experiences with caffeine? Does any of this sound familiar?

No comments: