Thursday, June 14, 2007

And then there was one...


I'm a little sad this morning. We've had an ant farm for the last month or so. When the ants arrived, only 6 survived the trip through the mail. Since they're adult ants, they only last a month or two.

I've really enjoyed watching them and reading more on ants. They don't work all the time, which I assumed. They gather into groups to have parties and talk. They play soccer with crumbs. And when one needs help, all the others gather around to add their strength. Ants even make a "Dump" in their home where all the trash, debris, and extra dirts goes.

They've all been slowly dying off. They'd been down to two for a few days now. This morning, I watched as the last ant slowly carried his buddy all the way across the farm to the dump. It was really very sad and tragic. He worked so hard, and it took a long time, but finally laid his friend to rest.

They are so small. I'm sure there's some deep meaning behind it all that I could come to, but I don't have the brain power for it now. However, I agree with Solomon when he encouraged us to "consider the ants." I think I'll be doing that for a long time to come.

Proverbs 6

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Proverbs 30

24 "Four things on earth are small,
yet they are extremely wise:
25 Ants are creatures of little strength,
yet they store up their food in the summer;

No comments: