Saturday, May 26, 2007

Teach me!


I just read through Psalm 119 in one sitting, and I was blown away. I might pick this apart more later, which means you'll probably be hearing about it, but what struck me first was how many times the writer asks God to teach him His Word. And these don't include the other times the Word is mentioned that I didn't include because he's not specifically asking to be taught.

  • Oh that my ways may be established to keep Your statues!
  • Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
  • Teach me Your statutes.
  • Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law.
  • Do not hide Your commandments from me.
  • Revive me according to Your word.
  • Teach me Your statutes. Make me understand the ways of your precepts, so I will meditate on Your wonders.
  • Strengthen me according to Your word. Remove the false way from me, and graciously grant me Your law.
  • I shall run the way of Your commandments, for You will enlarge my heart.
  • Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statues, and I shall observe it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law and keep it with all my heart. Make me walk in the path of Your commandments for I delight in it. Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to dishonest gain. Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, and revive me in Your ways. Establish Your word to Your servant, as that which produces reverence for You. Turn away my reproach which I dread, for Your ordinances are good. Behold, I long for Your precepts; Revive me through Your righteousness.
  • And do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for I wait for Your ordinances.
  • Remember the word to Your servant, in which You have made me hope.
  • Teach me Your statutes.
  • Teach me good discernment and knowledge, for I believe in Your commandments.
  • You are good and do good; teach me Your statutes.
  • Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments.
  • O may Your lovingkindness comfort me, according to Your word to Your servant. May Your compassion come to me that I may live, For Your law is my delight.
  • Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, so that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.
  • Revive me, oh Lord, according to Your word.... and teach me Your ordinances.
  • Sustain me according to Your word, that I may live; and do not let me be ashamed of my hope.
  • Deal with Your servant according to Your lovinkindness and teach me Your statutes. I am Your servant; give me understanding, that I may know Your testimonies.
  • Establish my footsteps in Your word, and do not let any iniquity have dominion over me. Redeem me from the oppression of man, that I may keep your precepts. Make Your face shine upon Your servant, and teach me Your statutes.
  • Your testimonies are righteous forever, give me understanding that I may live.
  • Revive me, O Lord, according to Your ordinances.
  • Give me understanding according to Your word.Let my soul live that it may praise You, and let Your ordinances help me.

My first question to myself - am I asking that much/often for God to teach me from His word? Or am I instead spending more time asking for answers & help & giving God a plan for Him to follow that I've thought up?

My second question - am I teaching my children what matters most? (My unfortunate answer to this - no, not enough... Lord willing, that's going to change!) :)

No comments: