Sunday, April 11, 2010

Refuge

I have a book of Puritan Prayers that I like reading before bed. Usually I read a different one each night, but I've stuck with this one for the last few days and thought I'd share it. Read slowly and enjoy! :)


REFUGE


O LORD,

Whose power is infinite and wisdom infallible,

Order things that they may neither hinder, nor discourage me,

- nor prove obstacles to the progress of thy cause;

Stand between me and all strife, that no evil befall,

- no sin corrupt my gifts, zeal, attainments;

May I follow duty and not any foolish device of my own;

Permit me not to labor at work which thou will not bless,

- that I may serve thee without disgrace or debt;

Let me dwell in thy most secret place under thy shadow,

- where is safe impenetrable protection from

  • the arrow that flieth by day,
  • the pestilence that walketh in darkness,
  • the strife of tongues,
  • the malice of ill-will,
  • the hurt of unkind talk,
  • the snares of company,
  • the perils of youth,
  • the temptations of middle life,
  • the mournings of old age,
  • the fear of death.


I am entirely dependent upon thee for support, counsel, consolation,

Uphold me by thy free Spirit,

- and may I not think it enough to be preserved from falling,

- but may I always go forward,

- always abounding in the work thou givest me to do,

Strengthen me by thy Spirit in my inner self

- for every purpose of my Christian life.


All my jewels I give to the shadow of the safety that is in thee –

- my name anew in Christ,

- my body, soul, talents, character,

- my success, wife, children, friends, work,

- my present, my future, my end.

Take them, they are thine, and I am thine, now and for ever.


From: “The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions” by Arthur Bennett © The Banner of Truth Trust 1975

No comments: